Pregnancy massage can bring enormous benefits not only to the expecting mom but also to the unborn baby.
Pregnancy is a truly unique period in the life of a woman. Still, numerous changes take place in her body – its weight starts to put pressure on joints and ligaments, while internal organs become the source of pain and discomfort.
It has been shown that pregnancy massage alleviates pain and other ailments which accompany pregnant women. Through its calming effect, the massage helps relieve tension. What is more, research shows that the baby also experiences the benefits of the massage, since endorphins secreted by the mother during the treatment are transferred to the unborn child.
Regular massages during pregnancy can give the mom-to-be a better understanding of her body. They make it easier to relax during the first stage of labour, which in turn translates into a shorter, easier and, consequently, less painful childbirth. They might also facilitate breastfeeding due to the higher level of prolactin.
Benefits of pregnancy massage:
- stimulates blood circulation – distributing nutrients and fluids to the placenta
- eliminates toxins from cells and blood, which helps to reduce swelling – a common complaint from pregnant women, especially in the third trimester
- relieves discomfort in the sacrum area and muscle tension in shoulders, neck, lower back and hips
- lowers the risk of varicose veins
- helps to relax and calms down; lowers the blood pressure and maintains it on the right level
Contraindications for the massage:
- bladder infection
- high blood pressure
- problems with placenta
- sciatic neuralgia
- varicose veins
- problems with breathing
- chronic inflammation